South Side Park
|Park Name: South Side Park (III)|
|Team: Chicago White Sox||Opening Day: April 24, 1901|
|Capacity: 15,000||Burned: 1909, December 25, 1940|
|AKA: White Sox Park, Schorling Park, Giants Park|
The grandstand for this park was built in 1900 for the American League Chicago White Sox and rebuilt after a 1909 fire. The second grandstand lasted 31 years, which is quite a long time for a wooden ballpark. The White Sox were forced to move after the 1910 season because their popularity outgrew the park. This park was nicknamed "The Hitless Wonder" because it was such a pitchers park. Deep center field was a ways from home, but not as long as the corners. No homers were seen in this park in two consecutive years.
After the White Sox moved out, the Negro League Chicago American Giants started playing their games here, as early as 1911. This team was managed by Rube Foster, the man who would go on to start the Negro National League. He managed from a box seat instead of a bench, always with a pipe or cigar in his mouth.
© 2004-17 Paul Healey.